Human Resources/Per diem, mileage, and hourly compensation

Question
Hello -

I work at an oil and gas maintenance company in Texas and my questions are concerning what's fair vs. legal regarding per diem and mileage compensation and what are the tax ramifications if we've been paying incorrectly.  Okay so here it goes:

1.) What are the specific IRS standards/guidelines regarding per diem pay?
2.) How many miles does an employee have to travel before they can receive per diem compensation?
3.) Do we have to pay an employee their hourly rate for the time they travel to the work site in their personal vehicle? Or mileage? Or both?
4.) Do we have to pay the employee his hourly rate if they travel to the work site in a company truck? And if they are traveling to the site in a work truck that they got at the main office do we pay the hourly rate?
5.) Can you please give me references to employee law that could help me understand any of this better?
6.) And finally, do we need to pay per diem/mileage at all or is it a "perk" or benefit of their employment?

If this is too many questions to answer I would really appreciate if you could just point me in the right direction to dig for more answers.  I want to be fair to the employees but have to be able to control costs and make sure I'm compliant with the applicable compensation and employee laws.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions. I have so many more but these are the ones that continue to come up unanswered and I have bad feeling I've been paying the employees too much. :(  Again, thank you for your time.

Answer
Hello Jennie,
Thanks for your question.   Let’s see if I can help.

I doubt that I could type all the per Diem related info associated with this question so here are two web sites that should take care of this one.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-regs/perdiemfaq&a.prn.pdf

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/News/20126533.htm

It is not a matter of miles Jennie, it is what is your/the company’s preference.  Do you want to pay actual expenses or a flat per diem rate?  Per Diem rates are used when travel is frequent and  found more in the sales and service industries.  It is up to the company whether they chose actual expense reimbursement or per diem.  PD takes a little more research to make sure it is fair to both employee and company.

That depends.   If it is daily back and forth from home to work, and their work day (e.g. 8 am to 5 pm) starts upon arrival at the worksite at 8 am, there is no requirement to pay them their hourly rate until they start to work and no requirement to pay mileage reimbursement.  In the case where sales, customer, and service calls are made by an employee traveling directly from home to the sales or customer location, mileage should be reimbursed.  In this same case, if he/she leaves home at the start of the typical work day to call on a customer or make a service call, then the hourly wage should be paid from the time he/she leaves home.

However, if an employee reports to work at his work location and then is required to leave the office to travel on company business, the company should be paying his/her hour rate and mileage reimbursement (if an employee-owned car is used).  

Yes, assuming they are traveling during their regular work hours, e.g. 8 am to 5 pm.

Most of this stuff is cover by federal wage and hour laws, for the most part.  Here is the website.
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/wages/#.ULa_RaxTySo      You might also take a look at:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/flsa/#.ULa_h6xTySo   and other similar web sites.

Again Per Diem pay is an alternative to paying actual expenses.  It is associated with expenses – usually meals and hotels.  Mileage is usually separate.  So, either your company has to pay the actual expenses associated with work related travel or a flat rate per diem.

I hope this helps Jennie.  This stuff is a quagmire of labor and wage laws.  The other thing you could do is to find a company in your area who has a similar business and compare practices.  That might help!

Best of luck!  If you have a minute I would appreciate your evaluation of this answer through the multiple choice survey on the AllExperts.com website.

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger