Human Resources/Hourly to Salary

My employer, which was Memorial Hospital, sold it's Home Health Agency to Consolidated Health Services--all under the umbrella of Catholic Health Services.  We are still being advertised as Memorial Home Health; however, we are employed by CHS.  Our income has drastically been reduced with this transition.  Prior to the transition on Aug. 15, 2012, we were being paid hourly, and now we are being paid salary.  The volume of workload has increased.  The hours I am working are reflected on my paycheck stub, but CHS has decreased my hourly rate on my paycheck stub to reflect a 32-hour work week.  I am working at least 5-10 hours more per pay period than what I'm being paid.  The first paycheck I received from CHS showed that I worked 94 hours, but was only paid for 64 hours.  How can companys get away with this!  We were not asked about this take-over.  We certainly did not agreed to take this drastic cut in pay, but yet be expected to work more hours!  Please give me some insight as to whether CHS, Memorial Hospital, and/or Catholic Health Initiatives can legally get away with these tactics.  We have already had at least 10 RN's quit since this transition.

Hi Sherry-
Thanks for the question. Your situation involves wage and hour laws, which can be very complicated. Since I'm not an attorney, I cannot give you a legal opinion as to whether the actions of your employer are permissible or in violation of wage and hour laws. My suggestion is to contact an employment attorney (ideally one who specializes in wage and hour) for a legal opinion. You could also contact the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division and see if they can offer any insight into your situation. You can find contact information for your local wage and hour division office at

Human Resources

Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D.

Stephanie can answer questions on compensation and selection decisions, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, and using quantitative analysis to examine allegations of discrimination. She is an economic and statistical consultant, not a lawyer; any answers given should not be construed as legal advice.

Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D., is the founder of Thomas Econometrics. Dr. Thomas specializes in applied statistics and mathematical economics, and concentrates her practice on the quantitative analysis of employment decisions and EEO compliance issues. For more than twelve years, Dr. Thomas has provided consulting services to Fortune 500 companies, major law firms, and federal and state government agencies such as the Department of Justice and the FBI. She has testified as an economic and statistical expert in mediation, arbitration, and in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Regarded as one of the leading experts on the analysis of equal employment issues, Dr. Thomas is a noted authority on compensation gender equity, the quantitative analysis of discrimination, and the mathematical examination of employment practices in the workplace. Dr. Thomas has extensive experience in the statistical analysis of gender, race and age discrimination claims with respect to compensation, hiring, promotion, termination and other employment practices. Dr. Thomas has authored several papers published in professional journals and regularly speaks to legal and industry groups on equal employment opportunity and affirmative action compliance issues, employment discrimination litigation avoidance, compensation equity, and statistical analysis of employment discrimination. She has been invited to address various chapters of the National Industry Liaison Group, Society for Human Resources Management, and Bar Associations across the country. Dr. Thomas was also a featured guest on a National Public Radio broadcast discussing the gender wage gap and the Paycheck Fairness Act. Prior to her consulting career, Dr. Thomas served on the faculty of New York University, where she taught courses on economic theory and econometrics.

Bloomberg Law Report, Corporate Counselor, Best Practices in Compensation and Benefits, Compensation & Benefits Review, Journal of Compensation and Benefits, Mealey's Litigation Report: Employment Law

Ph.D., Economics - New School for Social Research M.A., Economics - New School for Social Research B.A., Economics - Elmira College