Human Resources/Regarding Pay

Question

I have been offered a job as a Corporate Technical Recruiter at a Mid-Size Company.
Background:
I am a Technical Recruiter( Recruiting Highly Skilled Engineers with 4 years experience)  
San Francisco Bay Area/ Silicon Valley Location.
I have worked only in India. This is my first job here in the USA.I recently received my EAD so I moved here.

They are offering:
35K Per Annum - Base salary
1000 per placement
plus standard benefits
Full Time employee of the company

They say the base salary is low since I have worked only in the S/w space and their company is in the Semiconductors space.

Is this the fair market share? I have no one to ask here in the USA.

I have last stage interviews with some other companies too.They are both Agencies.What should I expect from the agencies? In terms of Base Salary and Commission Rate? Should I ask for Performance bonus too?

Robert Half Technologies (an agency)- They might fit me for Sr.Recruiter role or Regional Manager role.

Thank you so much in advance for answering my questions.

Answer
Anj,

I'm not in the loop on wages in California for recruiters in your industry.   What's more important is you have a job offer right now.  So, with no experience here in the US, your choice is to put the current offer on hold and continue meeting other potential employers or accept the offer and get your career started.   Once you are working, you can consider other opportunities, but give yourself a minimum of one year in the new company before you start looking for the next big opportunity.   Since I know nothing about your experience, financial situation or the industry, the decision is yours to make.    So many variables here...

All I will say is if you are given an offer by a company you interviewed with, you really should give them a courtesy of NO MORE than 2 weeks to think about the position they offered you or you may find they offer YOUR job to someone else while you are "thinking".  Of course there is a fine line here with negotiating too if you have other real offers.  Even 1 week may be too much for some to wait for you to accept.  They will know if you are working you will likely need to give 2 to 4 weeks notice to your current employer-- but that is not your situation.     Of course, if you dare, you would hope to squeeze in the other interviews during this 2 weeks and make a comparison of the offers, the work you will do, the companies you work for, your co-workers, your new boss, etc.       Of course if you ask for 2 weeks to "think" about it,  they will likely get candidate #2 on the block in case you bail out or if they get nervous.      

As an experienced recruiter in India, I'm sure you already know that some companies are better to work for than others; and some have better compensation than others.  The agencies you want to interview with may or may not offer performance bonuses- likely an hourly basis pay.   In my experience it is unlikely an agency would pay a performance bonus,  but it would not hurt to ask if this is really important to you.    A finders fee based on a percent of salary or fixed amount of pay per head may be acceptable in some situations too as a bonus as a recruiter.  Sometimes the person you place with a client would need to be employed 90 days before you would be entitled for the bonus.  all depends.

So, I'm sorry I can't tell you about the wages for the position.   Whatever you decide, stick with your decision for at least a year to give it long enough to try.  This is fair not only to you but to the comapny and is  your commitment when you accept the position.    

In the United States, people who have a new employer every two years are not looked upon as very loyal especially if they leave every job they have for the reason of "a better opportunity".   Don't misunderstand me;  there is no problem with wanting to get a better job,  but if it begins to look like you have left every employer on your own after 2 years,  then the last company hiring you will expect no more of you.   Being laid off or becoming unemployed because a company closed or downsized is different.

Use this first job here in the US to get your feet wet in the culture and learn.  Worry about making the money after you have some experience.   There are MANY recruiters out there with less than 5 years of experience and it takes years to develop a recruiting client book.   So, dont wait too long to give them your answer.

Good luck-   not sure I totally answered your questions.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips