Human Resources/Being asked to leave the office before the last day of my notice period

Question

I have my resignation (30 day notice), and two weeks later my employer is insisting that I complete the exit formalities immediately, and leave the office. They want to reclaim the laptop, badge and other assets and don't want me to come to the office and have set the exit date to be the date I leave the office (not the last day of the notice period).

They assured me that I will still be on the payroll for the full month, but will not have access to the facilities.

Is there any negative to this? Could there be an ulterior motive? Would I lose out on any benefits, payroll etc.,

I also have some stocks vesting 2 days before my last day of my notice period - if I leave now, and my last day is two weeks from now, would it affect my stocks vesting?

Thanks,

Ajay

Answer
Dear Ajay,

Hope you're doing fine.

There are certain key positions in the Organisation where management don't want to risk anything such as accounts department, IT networking or database. Management doesn't trust the departing employees; they feel the person may do something wrong during the notice period which may hard company in any way. Like an IT guy if leaving may do something wrong or hack password or do any nuisance which may harm company therefore such actions like your company has taken becomes necessary. If they wish to pay you sitting at home what's wrong with it.

As an assurance you may ask them in writing for what they are saying so during full and final settlement you don't face any problems. I don't think if they're assuring you to be on payroll for full month you'll loose anything unless they cheat at the end.

Probably during submission of laptop you may specifically mention in an application that your resignation date is  so and so and your LWD is so and so but up on request from management your submitting all assets in advance.

Warm regards,
Umesh Chaudhary
New Delhi, India
(welcomeumesh@yahoo.com)

Human Resources

Umesh Chaudhary