Human Resources/Stand bye pay

Question
I am an hourly employee as an engineer in reseach and developement for a privately owned company in MI who occassionally has to go out in the field with the operations side of the company to test and operate the tools which we make.

Say I've travelled hours from home in a company vehicle to the job site and stay in a hotel for nights on end.  The company vehicle pretty much has to stay out with the crew.  One day we have to wait on a sub-contractor and we have a day of downtime which we stay at the hotel, unable to go home for the day.  That day was not not charged to the client as stand bye time.

Should I be paid for any time that day that I could not go home?

Answer
Rick,

Short answer-  YES--   you should be paid for waiting time/ down time-- and especially since it is travel away from your home town where you are captive and must remain with the working crew.  Whether or not your employer "bills"  the client for the down time day is irrelevant,  you should still be paid for a work day for the typical hours you would work that day.  

I have attached a link to the FLSA website to explain how and when travel time would be paid.  IT is a flow chart of sorts that will direct you through  yes and no questions to derive whether you would be paid.

http://www.dol.gov/elaws/esa/flsa/hoursworked/default.asp
Click the blue arrow on the page to begin,  you will continue through two or three pages of information, then come to the page with all the buttons--click the one for travel time and then select employee and follow through based on your situation.

There are other reasons your example would require the employer to pay you as well,  but the travel time reason is as good as any.

PS-  the "work" time you are paid while "waiting" on the road would also contribute to hours worked to count toward overtime  (40 hours in a work week).   So, if for example, you are stuck in a hotel room Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday due to a blizzard and normally work 10 hours a day,  you should be paid 30 hours..  When the boss says,  " We're behind and need everyone to work 12 hours for Thurs, Fri and Saturday,  then you would be into overtime as soon as you hit 40 hours on Thursday...     looks like you will treat yourself to a good case of Mad Elf or some other tasty beverage with all the extra overtime pay.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Human Resources

Brian Phillips