Human Resources/Choosing a career between HR and Sales

Dear Sir !

One more thing I wanted to discuss, as when I was in Sales I was not getting sufficient time for my studies and hobies even my friends and siblings were upset as I was not able to give sufficient time to them. But in HR now I am managing my timings quite well. I can even give time for my further studies which I like the most.

Kindly clear one dilemma whether Sales jobs give more remuneration than HR? I want after my marriage I would be this much able that I can take care of my family in the best possible way. I want to have a good package which will help me to support my family in the best possible way.

Dear Manish
As I mentioned earlier, you need to be clear about priorities. As you rightly said, in HR you are likely to get more time with family than in Sales. As far as remuneration is concerned, in the initial years, Sales may pay more. However, if you do well in HR, then that will also be well paying.

So you need to decide whether you would want to earn more initially at the cost of time with family & friends or would like to invest time with family & friends and make it up financially by doing well in HR.

Hope this helps. Do revert with your thoughts & I will be happy to add further. All the best.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava

Questions related to choice of career, inter-personal issues at the workplace, performance management issues, structure issues, compensation structuring issues, culture building issues, linking HR with org. strategy

22 years in HR and Org. Development, designing & facilitating interventions, leading an HR team of an Indian multinational & facilitating multiple organizations across industries to build the desired culture to serve business need

HR magazine of TISS (an HR institute of repute - Tata Institute of Social Sciences)

B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) from IIT Mumbai (one of the most reputed engineering school in India) and PGDM (MBA) from IIM Kolkata (one of the most reputed management institutes in India).

Was awarded the Gold Medal for excellence in HR by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce at IIM