Human Resources/Employment law

Question
Can a contractor working out of a Hong Kong office can be given a US contractor agreement instead of a Hong Kong contractor agreement (basically the contractor being placed under the parent company rather than its Hong Kong subsidiary) What risks the company might have if the contractor working out of the Hong Kong office be held to US laws instead of HK employment laws? Is it advisable to put the contractor under the Hong Kong employment contract? Thank you.

Answer
Hello Jo,
Thanks for your question.

If I was a USA company hiring a contractor out of Hong Kong, I would want the work agreement to be with the Hong Kong Company, not the individual worker or a contract based in the USA.  I would not want to have the individual worker on my USA payroll or subject to 1099 reporting.  In that way the Hong Kong company is responsible for the entire compensation package, expenses, travel and so on.  Also the contract worker is not exposed to wage and hour laws associated with being on a USA payroll or under a USA contract.  And the USA company would have no reporting obligations associated with a foreign national on payroll, nor would the Hong Kong company and worker be saddled with tax equalization which I can vouch from personal experience is as complicated as payroll and taxes can be.

If this is a one time, short term deal then I believe the above would work for you. If its a longer-term, repetitive situation I would suggest seeking out legal advice and creating processes that would be repeatable and reliable.

As I am sure you know, notwithstanding the above payroll conversation, foreign nationals and contractors working in USA companies can create liability for the USA company under some USA based laws and the best example to use would be OSHA and NIOSH… were the USA company could be held liable for an action of the foreign contractor if that action created a hazardous situation or worse for the company.  Another example of exposure would be improper actions or behaviors which violated harassment and discrimination laws.

That is a summary of my experience and advice.  I hope you find it of value.  From a personal standpoint I am always interested in feedback for purposes of continuous improvement. So it would be helpful and appreciated if you could take a minute and rate this answer by completing the 4 multiple-choice evaluation questions on the “AllExperts.com” website. It only takes a minute.

Thanks again for your question Jo.  Good luck with your project.
Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger