Human Resources/hr complaint

hi..may you can help here..we have a new supervisor who has been in this new position for about 4 days. he is overly aggressive and wants to control everything and everybody. if i were to go to hr to complain about this behavior, what can they do to make him stop behaving this way?  i need to point out also this is  federal place i am talking about here. thank you!

The best answer I have is give it a while.

I dont know the history here- or if the guy was promoted from within or hired new from the outside,  but either way, if he is a supervisor, he has every right to micro manage in the beginning to learn about personalities of the people he is working with and to "stake claim" to his role as manager.

So,  I think you need to let this ride for more than 4 days before you go to HR and tell them he is aggressive and controlling.   Maybe things will get better in 2-3 weeks;  maybe not,  but give him the benefit of the doubt.

The fact is if the new manager really is this "bad", then others will see it-- including the people who hired him.  

I dont think HR would have a talk with him this early for the reasons I stated above.

The flip side of the coin-- again, not knowing you or the situation, is Maybe he is hired to get more work or better results from a particular department of employees.   So, assuming some people in your department are working less than ideal, he may be hired to push them along andf in this case micro-managing is appropriate.

So, I hope you dont take this personally- as I said I dont know the situation,, but this is BOTH sides of my opinion-- from the employee side and the employer side.

After a while, if things get worse, send me another note with more info and we'll talk more.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.