Human Resources/Salary question in required field of online application

Question
There is a job I really hope to get but they will only let you apply for it online and the online application form makes the salary and/or expectations questions required fields (so you can't skip them AND they are formatted as number fields with dropdowns so it's not like an open text field where you can type in words to get round it). So what should I choose? I know I can't lie about it but I don't want to be screened out either. So let me know, thanks in advance for the replies.

Answer
John:
Your problem is just ONE of my many peeves about the on-line applications process.  There really isnt a great answer here.  If they want to screen you out they will, for any one of a number or idiotic reasons.
In this case put your current salary or last salary in the box (if that would be minimally acceptable).  This is a safe number as it confirms info they can find elsewhere on the app.
When you actually get to speak with someone, you can indicate that compensation is negotiable based on your perception of the opportunity.
Sorry I cant do better, but given the options this is the only sane one.
Hope this helps.
Happy New Year!
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky