Human Resources/Signing in early

I work for a large company in the UK and we have been told that we have to sign in a few minutes early each day so that our computers are logged in and ready for us to start working at our official starting times. This amount of time worked each time day adds up and of course we are not paid for this. Is this legal and can this time be claimed back from the company?

Also, if we are one minute late, we have to work back fifteen minutes at the end of the day, is there a legal stance on this?

Kind Regards

The company must legally pay you for all the time you work. They can legally fix the timeclock to round to the nearest 15 minutes. That means if you come in 8 minutes late you will be clocked in at 15 after. If you come in 5 minutes early you will be clocked in at the right time an dif you come in 8 minutes early you are clocked in at 15 till the hour.

This only works if the company sets the timecards to round to the nearest 15 minutes. One minute last should not be 15 minutes this is incorrect and illegal.

You would need to contact your local department of labor and talk to them about filing a claim for unpaid overtime wages.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions