Human Resources/Unemployment claim

Question
Mr Phillips:  I have been on unemployment for a while now.  I recently accepted a temp assignment and did not certify or receive benefits at that time.  Since then my temp assignment has ended and I want to restart my unemployment benefits.  Every time I call the numbers to the offices, I get either  "Due to unfirseen circumstances, the system is not available or the cannot take my call due to high call volume.  What do I have to do to get my benefits started again and how can I get through to someone to restart.  I am really ina bind for those benefits since my temp job ended so any help/advice/assistance you can provide will be extremely helpful.

Thank you Mr. Phillips
Randy Gentry

Answer
Randy.

It is rare to reach someone from the unemployment center when you call.  I think that statement pretty much applies everywhere- not just Tennessee.    The best route today is to apply for your UC benefits online.   Here is the link:

http://www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/Claimants/appintro.html

The only time you might not want to apply online is if you had some out of the ordinary stuff going on and would need to speak to someone.  In that case, try the number on a Tues, Wed or Thursday toward the end of the day about 1/2 hour before the UC phone service closes-- example call from  3:30 to 4:00 if they close at 4pm.   This is off-peak call time.   Another trick is to hit a bunch of buttons or the * or # phone buttons and "goof up" the automated system and then an operator will pick up- ask to speak to a claim representative.

If you aren't sure how to navigate the website, just give it a shot, after all you found this website to get your question answered !!  So, go to the link I provided, read the Q&A  and then click a few links to see how to proceed and update your status and file your claim.   You can't break anything online and you will need to review and "verify"  any claim info before you send it anyway, so if you get that far you will be comfortable in what you send them.

You might need to set up an account, so have your social security # on hand and remember to write down your password to log in later.   Keep an easy password   like   TNRandy321UC
You may also want to have a calendar in front of you to refer to and write down the hours you worked for each workweek so you can move through the process easy.   Until you get steady work, you should write down the hours you work on a calendar you use for handling your UC account.    You may also be required to apply for jobs using the UC system in Tennessee.

I hope this helps and remember to keep your UC filings up to date as your failure to post UC status will delay your eligibility to get the UC check and slow things down.   It might hold up your UC check by a few weeks and that isn't good.

Thanks for the question.

Brian

Human Resources

Brian Phillips