Human Resources/Career Guidance

Hi Sir,

I have 5 of experience in HR field. I have done all my studies through correspondance i.e. part time.  I have done MBA from ICFAI Correspondance. I want to study further so enhance my skills. Please suggest part time degree or diploma in HR.

Hi Abhilasha,

Thanks for your question.  I am happy to assist. I am assuming you would like to remain in a HR career path.

I believe you have two questions to answer as you look forward and plan your career.  Do you want to be a specialist in HR?  For example, a manager or director of compensation, or, of letís say employment policy and practice or, do you aspire to be a generalist with an HR staff and a scope of responsibility of one location or multiple locations and if the answer is multiple locations do you see yourself in a limited domestic scope or broad, global scope of responsibility.

If you desire to be a specialist your further education should focus on technical skills associated with that HR specialty.

If you see yourself as a generalist in a managerís or leaderís role then you need to focus less on education and more on positions in an organization which expose you to a wide variety of HR and organization business situations and conditions which will give you actual professional, manager and leader experience.  If you work in a large organization where opportunities are usually available for those who are talented performers then you are in a good place.  You can leverage the organization to move you to different positions.  Make sure you are diplomatically verbal about your career objectives and aspirations.  Your immediate manager and one-up manager are probably in the best position to assist you in moving along in your career.  If they are not good at developing and moving talent then that will be a barrier for you in moving forward.  If you work for a smaller organization where varying assignments of increasing scope and difficulty are not available then you should move to a large, complex, multinational company where all your options are open.  Regardless the size of the organization, the immediate manager and one-up manager rule applies.

Money and position are not the  ďbe-all, end-allĒ of career success.  It is important that you are happy and enjoy your work so always look at your career in that light as well.

You should also adopt a coach and or mentor you can trust who has great experience.  A mentor can be in the same organization but needs to be in a different function.  They have different roles so study up on them and see what fits you best in your current career situation.  Look for qualities such as experience, judgment, humor, business acumen, talent management, courage, strategy, professional presence, and good communications skills in mentors and coaches.

And it is always good to look at your career in relationship to Effectiveness Competencies and the impact they have on success. Here is a summary.

Effectiveness Competences (ECís) are observable behaviors such as adaptability/flexibility, honesty, professional presence, hard work, integrity, communications, leadership, business acumen, influence, analytical capability, judgment, and so on.  When you work with a peer, boss, or any employee for a short period of time you can see by their behavior if they have professional presence, if they work hard, if they are analytical, if they are adaptable and an effective communicator.  EC questions are often used as a basis for interviews as they reveal important behaviors. There are many sources of lists of competencies, as well as sample behavioral interview questions on the Internet.

ECís are critical career makers (or breakers) as they are observable by any level of co-worker, open doors for you (professional presence), impact co-workers careers and daily work environment (compassion, talent management, leadership), are a factor in your ability to learn (listening) as well as have others learn from you (patience, understanding).  ECís display your energy and enthusiasm (passion) for your work and your company.  In a few words, ECís make or break more careers than technical knowledge (functional competencies). They are excellent forecast factors of a professionalís future capability in higher-level positions.  Always keep ECís in view as a critical part of your career development.

That is a summary of my advice, Abhilasha.  I hope you find it of value.  From a personal standpoint I am always interested in feedback for purposes of continuous improvement.  So it would be helpful and appreciated if you could take a minute and rate this answer by completing the 4 multiple-choice evaluation questions on the ďAllExperts.comĒ website. It only takes a minute.

Thanks again for your question.  I wish you good luck going forward with your work and career decisions.

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eatonís Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, Chinaís university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leaderís process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USAís armed forces.

SCORE Ė Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.