Human Resources/Escalation affects KPI

Dear Stephanie,

Do appreciate your help for advice on below scenarios, really thanks a lot

An Intern send a request to me to ask me close two job requisition.

After I checked the requisition status and asking the recruiter feedback on a candidate John at particular job requisition, I reply below chatting conversation (some sort of msn chat window) to intern via email and copy her recruiter. Email as below:

Dear Intern,

Could you check with recruiter before ask me to cloase a requisition that recruiter going to issue offer? Thanks

Does recruitment give you appropriate Apple System training?

Job requisition A Candidate John will be issue offer soon

During the evening time about to call off the day, I received the msn chat below with intern.

Intern: Hi, I sent you email in the morning to close two positions for it has some wrong information, and I have posted the right ones
Intern: Would you please close these positions for its urgent for the hiring manager

Me: Please check with recruiter before come to me

Intern: She approved

Me: because one of the candidates is going to extend offer

Me: so the requisition cannot be closed

Intern: ok

Me: this is the logic fix by Apple system

Intern: I see

Me: Please ensure you go through all the Apple system training

Intern: Thanks

Me: so you may ask recruiter give you adequate training

Me: thanks

Intern: You really are a little blunt, I just ask you a question

Intern: I first came to IBM but I still understand basic courtesy not like you

As Team Leader as HR Specialist who support for recruiter, I put all the above conversation into email and send to Recruitment Lead (First Line Manager of Recruiter).

Then the recruitment Lead reply an email and copy the intern back to me as follow:

Yee Yong, I don't know why you have this kind of attitude. If the person has been trained, I think she/he still makes mistake during her/his daily work. Can you promise your team member never make mistakes? You can pay more patient to train & educate your team member, and can you pay patient to help other team member growth up? As leaders, all of us have responsibility to help own team and other team members growth.

The recruitment Lead escalate above issue to my reporting manager and my manager is angry and take this into account as my performance rating but my KPI has been outlined is not based on that criteria.

Based on above conversation, do I did anything wrong at the first place since the intern send the email to ask us to support without reveal his own identity?

Since I worked in an US based company, can I refer the above issue to labor / any suggested department in order prove to the higher management which I am not wrong at all?

Looking forward your reply.

My advice would be to talk to your supervisor about the situation, and ask him how he would have handled the situation. He may have ideas on how to handle it differently in the future. It really depends on your company's internal policies and procedures. I would get advice from my supervisor.

Human Resources

Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D.

Stephanie can answer questions on compensation and selection decisions, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, and using quantitative analysis to examine allegations of discrimination. She is an economic and statistical consultant, not a lawyer; any answers given should not be construed as legal advice.

Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D., is the founder of Thomas Econometrics. Dr. Thomas specializes in applied statistics and mathematical economics, and concentrates her practice on the quantitative analysis of employment decisions and EEO compliance issues. For more than twelve years, Dr. Thomas has provided consulting services to Fortune 500 companies, major law firms, and federal and state government agencies such as the Department of Justice and the FBI. She has testified as an economic and statistical expert in mediation, arbitration, and in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Regarded as one of the leading experts on the analysis of equal employment issues, Dr. Thomas is a noted authority on compensation gender equity, the quantitative analysis of discrimination, and the mathematical examination of employment practices in the workplace. Dr. Thomas has extensive experience in the statistical analysis of gender, race and age discrimination claims with respect to compensation, hiring, promotion, termination and other employment practices. Dr. Thomas has authored several papers published in professional journals and regularly speaks to legal and industry groups on equal employment opportunity and affirmative action compliance issues, employment discrimination litigation avoidance, compensation equity, and statistical analysis of employment discrimination. She has been invited to address various chapters of the National Industry Liaison Group, Society for Human Resources Management, and Bar Associations across the country. Dr. Thomas was also a featured guest on a National Public Radio broadcast discussing the gender wage gap and the Paycheck Fairness Act. Prior to her consulting career, Dr. Thomas served on the faculty of New York University, where she taught courses on economic theory and econometrics.

Bloomberg Law Report, Corporate Counselor, Best Practices in Compensation and Benefits, Compensation & Benefits Review, Journal of Compensation and Benefits, Mealey's Litigation Report: Employment Law

Ph.D., Economics - New School for Social Research M.A., Economics - New School for Social Research B.A., Economics - Elmira College