Human Resources/Properly wording a rehire letter

Question
Hello,

I'm hoping you could assist me with wording a rehire letter to a former employer.

I worked for the same company for 8 years. My last year there (beginning of year 8), I transferred out of state and therefore under different supervisors. We never grew very close (although I had been with my previous long term supervisors and staff) and due to a host of family issues after my relocation - financial issues (I ended up attempting to hold down a 2nd job at the same time) and two seriously ill family members, and I know my work slipped off in quality. When my review came, it was reasonably fair given my performance, but I was honestly not in a good place mentally due to the family stress, and I ended up resigning from my position and going to a different company.

That was 8 months ago, and I really regret leaving. I feel I left on good terms - I had a frank conversation with my supervisor that it was due to financial reasons (my review did not give the anticipated salary increase) - gave appropriate notice, and we had an open conversation about how things change over time and I may want to return after I've had a different experience. I feel like I am now ready to return and I would truly like to, however I can't seem to find the right words to open a letter to request rehire.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Answer
Christina:
Dont write at this point.  Make a phone call to the hiring authority and have the conversation briefly concerning the circumstances of your resignation and your interest to return now that the external issues have been resolved.  (BTW, why didnt you exercise your rights under the family leave act? This guarantees you 12 leave time to deal with such issues.  Keep that in mind in the future.)
Your former company may or may not have a rehire policy but making the call will answer both questions.
I recommend the phone call as it is the more personal approach.
Let me know how it turns out.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky