Human Resources/PTO

Question
QUESTION: Can an employer that is short staffed use PTO as leverage to make the employee work on their off days for overtime? I believe it is discriminatory.  Am I right? I  know someone that has an employer who has said he wont allow them to use their PTO unless they help out the company on their days off. By coming into work because another employee has called off sick.

ANSWER: I do not think that PTO should be held hostage in this manner, however, PTO is not mandated and is given by the company not earned. Because it is a given by the ocmpany and not mandated by law the company does reserve the right to say when PTO may or may not be used.

You might also know that the department of labor says that the employer has the right to schedule the employee as many hours as he wishes as long as overtime is paid for all hours worked over 40 in a week. The employer sets the schedule and can terminate a worker for not following the work times set. The employee does not have the right to say when he wishes to work.

Shirley

QUESTION: In the PTO policy there is no statement or rules saying anything regarding working overtime to achieve approved PTO.

Answer
You are correct that you should recieve the PTO whether or not you work overtime. What I am saying is that although you are correct there are no laws to back you up because the PTO is a gift from the company and they have control over it. It is not a wage and is not regulated by the wage laws.

Although you are right there are no statutes to help you win a case against the company.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR