Human Resources/Selecting the right course work

Question
Dear Mr. Eichinger,

I am an international graduate student in the Department of Sociology pursuing a M.A at a University in Houston, TX. I am interested in pursuing a career in HR and have relevant work experience in working as a HR generalist and recruiter in the real estate industry as well as in the financial industry in India.

I am planning on enrolling for a course which would add to my knowledge and help me to find a job in the area of HR here in the US. I have the option of choosing two courses: 1. HR management in Oil and GAS sector 2. HRD in Organizational Development Interventions. I am confused about which course to choose and would thus like to know your opinion. I would be very grateful if you would kindly guide me to make the right choice and help me further my aspirations.

I have the course syllabus details. If you would need them to help you answer my question please let me know. Eagerly waiting for you reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Sincerely,
Ragini

Answer
Hi Ragini,

I will try and provide some assistance.  Thanks for your question!

1. HR management in Oil and GAS sector:  You can look closely at the curriculum but I am sure this is a broad education in H.R., with specialization for the O & G industry.  For example I would expect you would find subjects similar to compensation, performance management, managing people, budgeting/financial, training and development, policy and practice, communications, planning, recruiting, selection, health and safety, etc.  In other words I suspect most of the curriculum would be transportable to any industry.  However, I would think that specialized topics Like Health and Safety, possibly risk management and others would be tailored to O & G.  So I would think this is a broad education in H.R. with specialized topics for O & G.  You would take this direction and curriculum if you aspired to be an HR manager, director, etc.

2. HRD in Organizational Development Interventions.  Organization and Development is usually a subset within HR, just like compensation, policy and practice, and so on.  That is not to take anything away from HODI, but it is usually a specialty within H.R.  It is possible, in some organizations; you might find it reporting to another function other than H.R...  But the point here is this is specialized, not so much a broad generalist role as the HR Manager curriculum.  So you might choose to go this direction if you wanted to specialize in O.D.

It depends on your interest and desired career path at this point in time.   You can always change your mind later.  You will find HR Generalists in industry who changed career paths and moved to OD and OD managers/leaders who moved over to the broad generalist’s positions in H.R.

That is my advice at this point, Ragini. I hope you find it of value.  Remember you can always change your mind as you move through your career years.

From a personal standpoint I am always interested in feedback for purposes of continuous improvement. So it would be helpful and appreciated if you could take a minute and rate this answer by completing the 4 multiple-choice evaluation questions on the “AllExperts.com” website. It only takes a minute.

Thanks again for your question.  Good luck going forward with your education and career decisions.

Mark,  IHRCConline.com  

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger