Human Resources/Shift Differential

Question
Mr Phillips,

My wife is an RN working for a good sized nursing home that has multiple locations here in Central NJ.  She works the 3pm to 11pm shift for which she is paid a $3.00 differential per hour over what the daily 7am to 3pm is paid.  When she works overtime, they do not pay her time-and-a-half on the $3.00 differential... they calculate the OT based on the 7 to 3 rate, even though she worked 3 to 11.  The head of HR told her they aren't required to pay OT on the differential.  I say the nursing home is in violation of both State and Federal Law...  I'd appreciate you comments.

Thank you,

Tom

Answer
Tom

Sorry for my delay in response.  Easiest question I had in years... yes, you are right- the differential is included in OT calculation.

Obviously the nursing home needs someone who knows how to interpret OT laws so they can avoid embarrassment like this...  Keep in mind, it is not ONLY your wife who is due OT for the last 2 years, but every employee(most likely) who worked the same shift.    

The fact sheet you need to document the law is attached-- # 54

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs54.htm

After the 8 / 80 rule go down to section on supplemental pay and pay differentials.   

Good luck.   

Another less direct source as well...

§ 778.208   Inclusion and exclusion of bonuses in computing the “regular rate.”

Source link for below info:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=48d6ee3b99d3b3a97b1bf189e1757786

Section 7(e) of the Act requires the inclusion in the regular rate of all remuneration for employment except eight specified types of payments. Among these excludable payments are discretionary bonuses, gifts and payments in the nature of gifts on special occasions, contributions by the employer to certain welfare plans and payments made by the employer pursuant to certain profit-sharing, thrift and savings plans. These are discussed in §§ 778.211 through 778.214. Bonuses which do not qualify for exclusion from the regular rate as one of these types must be totaled in with other earnings to determine the regular rate on which overtime pay must be based. Bonus payments are payments made in addition to the regular earnings of an employee. For a discussion on the bonus form as an evasive bookkeeping device, see §§ 778.502 and 778.503.

Brian

Human Resources

Brian Phillips