Human Resources/Variable pay confusion

Question
Respected Sir,

My query is basically with respect to the demarcation between fixed and variable pay.Often during salary negotiation interviews the HR is keen to know only about one's fixed pay out of total CTC rather than considering variable pay too.They state that the hike according to industry standards will be given on fixed pay and variable would not be considered as that depends on company to company. So is a hike always given on fixed component or on the total CTC? This is because I am presently having two offers in hand both with a near about similar fixed salary but one has a very large variable component than the other which is creating a confusion in my mind as to which offer to accept?

Answer
It is true that fixed pay and variable depends on company to company.The guiding principle is that fixed pay could be to about 60 to 75 percent of the total pay ; variable pay could be based on performance , targets achieved , profitability of the division & so on . It is difficult to help you deicide on which offer is better based on your email .I can help you further incase you can send more details .you are welcome to speak to me if you wish on Monday around 11 am .

Human Resources

Prof R S S Mani