Human Resources/wrongfully terminated

Question
QUESTION: At my place of employment there have been money issues for a long period of time, well since I've been there which was the beginning of September of 2012. They have no such policies as to saving slips for items that are promotions or for refunds. On 01-02-13 they sat me down and told me on December 20th I had about 230 dollars in refunds that day. As part of my job description we preform these on a daily basis, so to remember those refunds from 12 days ago is a pretty hard thing to do and because at that exact moment I couldn't remember what they all were for I was terminated. They just guess instead of actually having knowledge and proof. That store doesn't even have cameras inside to catch potential thieves. I want to know if there is something I can do and if they can fire me over not knowing my own refunds, when they don't have a policy in check that says I must be able to provide evidence of all refunds.

ANSWER: Samantha:
I assume that when you use the term policy you are referring to the procedure as to what to do with coupons etc.  If that is in fact the case, requiring you to remember what you did two weeks ago in a retail environment is ridiculous. I am also assuming this is not a national chain with a real HR dept.( If this is a national company please let me know and I will make different suggestions.) Sounds like they were just looking for a reason to cut heads (yours) and not be liable for unemployment charges. I know jobs arent exactly easy to find these days but I would just move on in this case.  Have you filed for unemployment benefits?  If not, please do so.  If the company contests your claim request a hearing and go to the wall on this as it (assuming they have no proof of wrongdoing on your part) totally illegal to make accusations such as this without substantiation.
Hope this helps. Let me know if the company contests your claim and I will make some recommendations
Jim

QUESTION: This is a national chain a mcdonalds they have tons of HR reps and I am going to file for unemployment. It is very hard to find a job you are right but I am up for the challenge. Its the only way I'm going to make it through college thanks so much for your time you've helped me so much and look forward to seeing if there is anything else I should do.

Answer
If this is a smaller franchise i.e. just a few stores they may not have implemented all of the wonderful toys and procedures of the corporate stores.  If this organization has an HR dept, I would contact them to see what gives.  If there is no contesting of your claim, check out some of the larger Mickey D shops there are many worse places to work.
Mickey D's is generally one of the better managed organizations especially on the business systems side. This is what causes me to suspect it is a smaller franchise.  Gee its deja vous all over again as thats what I did to get thru school.
Let me know how you make out.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky