Human Resources/What to do when HR lies to you?

Question
Could you pls advise what I can do in this case?
A few months ago, I applied for a career break in my company. My boss asked me to go through a process whereby I have to meet the HR person. It was very formal and I had to answer many questions before my request was granted.
Now I found out that another person had the same request. However, this time, my boss personally  approved without asking him to meet the HR. I found it unfair so I contacted the HR person, who replied that this person also went through the same process.
However, I have reason to believe that the HR is lying.
Can I have a formal complaint about unfair treatment?
Thank you

Answer
Hi Wayne
My apologies for the delay in responding. Was traveling & missed your question.

I understand the sense of injustice & unfairness when you find that you had to go through a process for s request that someone else did not.

Before I respond on what you need to do, it is important for me to understand why you want to respond to this situation.

My reason for saying this is that if the organization holds fairness as a value then it will be worthwhile raising the issue. Else it will be an appeal that will fall on deaf ears and may just end up antagonizing the team and not lead to any outcome that you may be seeking.

If fairness is indeed a value, then you could share with any person who is an ombudsman of values of the organization. You will of course need to share why you feel so and perhaps provide some evidence too.

Hope this helps you think through what you want to do & why. I will be happy to hear your response to the same so that I can share any other thoughts that I may have reading your response. All the best.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava