Human Resources/PTO

Crazy as it is, our company has a full-time, salaried employee that does not wish to receive PTO as a benefit.  When he does take time off, he makes up for the time prior to and after the time off taken.  He doesn't believe in taking money for work not done.  

Could there be any legal implications to our MN-based company in allowing him to do this?

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your question.

It is unusual and I doubt few people would complain that they did not want PTO.  Technically speaking, assuming there is a company policy covering this subject, when the company deviates from policy for one person it is asking for trouble.  Deviation from established policy creates what can be considered legally - binding past practice.  Issues around such deviations usually occur as others complain about disparate treatment, favoritism, and so on. It is bad practice on the company's part if there is a policy addressing paid time off and they deviate from it.  There could be legal complications as well with federal and/or state wage and hour laws.

Again, I doubt that anyone will complain.  Complaints usually bring employment policy issues to the surface.

Hope this helps.

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.