Human Resources/Wage Claim

Question
QUESTION: I have been working for a gym (small business LLC) since May and our sales are not making the costs of they gym. I have had three payroll checks come back with insufficient funds. I have been able to obtain money from two of them. This last payroll period almost all the employees checks bounced, many have quite. I however, am still working for the company not knowing exactly what to do. If I stay with them does that guarantee my pay? I have filed a wage claim with the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement, I showed up to the court meeting, but no one representing the business did. I have seen multiple letters for rent, utilities, electrical, etc. bills being past due for several months with late fees. If they file bankruptcy do I still have rights to get paid? What actions do you think I should take?
Thank you

ANSWER: Personally I think you should quit and file for unemployment because it is no fault of your own you are unemployed as the company did not have the funds to pay you and you cannot for for free.

The money you are already owed can be obtained through the Department of Labor, however, if bankruptcy is filed you may not see any money at all.

Shirley

QUESTION: How does filing bankruptcy take the rights away from paying employees?

Answer
Bankruptcy is when a company has no money. If there is no money to pay there is no money to pay.

What happens is all creditors get on a list for payment. The money that is there, if any, trickles down to all creditors and they get a percentage of the available funds.

In California preference is given to the employees, however, if there is not enough to pay all the wages the employees will get a percentage of their wages.

Here is a website which explains what happens to wages if a company goes bankrupt in California.

http://www.humanresourceblog.com/2008/04/11/california-chapter-7-bankruptcy/

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR