Human Resources/I want to be rehired

Hi, Mark .
I am Lourdes I am from Peru, I  was working in this company almost five years ago and now I would like to be rehired again.In my last contract I decided to resign for strong family reasons,I was working as an Assistant Waitress I really enjoyed doing my job.please guide in what should I do to be rehired again .
Thank you so much for all your help.

Hi Lourdes,

Thanks for you question.

Your best approach to this is to contact your previous boss, or, preferably the owner of the business. I assume your were in good standing when you left the company. Write a well thought out letter, highlighting how much you liked working there and why. Make sure you highlight why the business benefits from you working there, (your integrity, hard work, positive attitude, customer focus, ability relate to other employees, your previous good work record, things like that).  If the owner is at another location, other than where you physically worked, write to the location manager where you worked and send a copy to the "remote" owner or manager.  If you don't hear anything in a week or so, call just to say you are following up on your letter.  The call would also be another opportunity to explain why you are anxious to return to work and why the business would benefit.

That would be my advice and approach.  I hope that helps Lourdes!

Best of luck!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.