Human Resources/H.R confidentiality

Question
I was wondering if making a call to a human resources department should be confidential.  I called and emailed my human resource department to ask a question.  I never received a call nor email, however, my supervisor had known that I contacted human resources.  Is this kind of odd? I was hired 6 years ago as an independent contractor part time merchandiser.  Now we are considered employees of the company, but no one can seem to tell me how or when this happened.  Shouldn't I have been notified of this?  I know that laws and rules are different between the two.  When I called the HR department to ask the question, they never got back to me, but my Area Supervisor knew of my call to HR.

Answer
Hi Linda,
Thanks for your question.

HR should be a source for you to speak to confidentially.  If after the discussion HR thinks you should talk with you supervisor first, it should recommend that and that should usually be the first contact for discussion, the employee and the immediate supervisor.

In any case HR should have responded to you, in my opinion, before contacting the supervisor.
With respect to your employment status, if that changed, in your example from contractor to employee, there should have certainly been some meetings and other forms of communications to explain the change.

This sounds like a great opportunity for HR to do a professional job of employee communications and management guidance as well as providing some leadership if in fact a change in employment status occurred.  Sounds like a lost opportunity to me.

I would follow-up directly with your supervisor.

I hope that helps.
Best of luck,
Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger