Human Resources/harrassment and attempt to get fired

Question
QUESTION: hi..this is something! i work at a va hospital and have been there almost 26 years. yesterday the union steward approached me and said that there have been many complaints from a lot of people that seems to think that i do not take a bath or shower. the union steward claims that some have said that smell like feces or urine, etc., and i have no idea what he is talking about. i think this is harrassment and maybe trying to force me into quitting so they dont have a contribute money to my retirement savings. in your experience, do you have any idea of the reason they are doing this? i would like to know! also, how to find out the names of these people doing it? thank you!

ANSWER: James
Did you by any chance ask the shop steward whether he/she detected an odor? Obviously this is a very sensitive subject for most of us.  Do you have any medical conditions like diabetes etc? or have something unusual in your diet? Assuming no and that you do not have a problem, I would have a sitdown with the rep and discuss the situation to see if you can find out what's really happening here.  After 26 years with the va I would imagine you know who your friends are. As for the complainant(s), it is unlikely that info will be shared.  
As for reasons.... If someone has complained the rep has the responsibility to communicate and investigate.  I would start there and see what happens.
Let me know what you learn.
Thanks
Jim

QUESTION: hi and thank you for writing. the shop steward was about 2 feet from me, and he said that he could not smell a thing. i told him there was nothing to smell..lol!  but i did not ask that one; he just voluntarily said he smelled nothing. today at work nobody said a thing about the subject, and i have idea why they are doing this nonsense. also i have nerve deafness in one ear and a hearing aid in the other, so maybe they are just doing it for harrassment purposes. as far as medical conditions go, no i dont have any. i told the shop steward we can do so much; like clothes every day, bath or shower, etc., and past that what am i supposed to be expected to do? thanks for your input!

Answer
James:
First of all, Happy Holidays!!
At this point, I suggest that you forget the conversation happened, keep your eyes and ears open and just wait to see if there are any follow-ons.  My guess is that it will go away given the steward noticed nothing. He may pop in from time to time just to check but I think the whole thing will just go away.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky