Human Resources/PTO

Question
A co-worker of mine was recently promoted to a new position so my department is short a person and because of this my boss asked that I do not use any of my PTO time until they hire a new person. This process could take a month or more and that does not include the time it will take for me to have to train a new employee. I feel this is completely unfair for a few reasons; my job does not allow you to take personal time off during the entire month of Dec (this is a busy month for us) and this is actually in our employee handbook.  This is fine, I accept this however the days off that I requested were in Jan., well in advance (a month in fact) and before my co-worker was even promoted. It is also time I earned and I'm not one to call out last minute. My question is this, is it fair for an employer to ask an employee not to use their personal time that they earn when given advance notice? My job is a high paced, very stressful job that you need a mental health day. I feel like they are taking advantage of me. Is this common for an employer to ask this. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Answer
It is not fair to you to not be able to use your PTO. With that said it is legal. Since PTO is not required to be given and is given by the employer the employer has the right to say when it may or may not be used. It might not be fair to you, but it is not illegal for them to do so.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR