Human Resources/28 hours for new health law

Question
The management group that owns the senior living facility for which I work has recently instituted an organization wide policy of limiting work weeks to a maximum of 28 hours.  The only employees exempted from this new policy are salaried workers and licensed nursing staff.

My question is why, exactly, would this policy be beneficial?  I am aware that the Affordable Care Act enacts penalties to employers of workers who qualify for and take advantage of the government subsidized option.  As I understand the law, the option provided by your employer must cost, for single coverage, more than 9.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  Our company's insurance would not cost more than 9.5% of that majority of the employees' income.  In addition, many employees, like myself, choose to obtain insurance from our spouses' plans.  

Our family of companies employ hundreds of people.  Our particular senior living facility requires well in excess of the 50 full time licensed nursing staff it would take to include the company in the affected size.  Assuming that the policy remains as is, there would be no possible way to avoid this thresh hold.  

What is the great financial threat I am missing that would drive our management group to such an extreme decision?  Where are the costs to the company to continuing to employ myself and others like myself at full-time when we will be unable to buy into the subsidized exchange programs?

I know that the management group receives loads of legal advice, but I can't help but question the wisdom in driving off all of your full-time staff.  I hope your answer will allow me to understand the costs that my employer is including in this equation.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Answer
30 hours a week is full time and must be provided insurance by the company through the new ppaca (obamacare) legislation. 28 hours a week is part time employment and they do not have to be offered benefits. It would make a huge financial impact on the company.

Also if the company keeps full time employees down to under 50 employees they escape a huge amount of regulations and penalites enforced on them by the PPACA plan.

This is not a good piece of legislation and it is costing jobs everywhere. I wish to hire several people, but I have a cap at 49 employees so we are all doing several jobs. I think it will have some real substantial loss in employment and hours employees work in the months to come.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR