Human Resources/workplace bully

Question
hi..at work, we have a new supervisor. previous to that, he was ok and thought of as a good guy. about 2 days after being made a supervisor, it became clear he is nothing but a bully. he is probably twice my size or more; i am 6 feet, about 180 lbs. the other day i got called into his office. he was reaming me out for something that happened at least a year ago, which was basically slander against me by a co worker. i ended up calling a lawyer, and the woman apologize to me all over the place, so its done and over with. second thing..i had been told in the past by 3 different people that another co worker is lazy and, while working on a holiday, sits and watches tv. 3 people said this, so i had no problem just telling other people what i had been told about him. this was not done with malice. it was done for simple communication purposes. on the 18th of this month i worked with this guy and found out he is not at all lazy; so much for the myth. so supervisor is up in my face; his nose probably less then 2 inches from mine. two other supervisors and a union rep were present. so he starts talking very very loud and i guess this was to intimidate me, which it did not. my plan is to write this up and take it to an HR specialist. my question is, what kinds of things can an HR specialist do about it, and what would likely happen to this bully supervisor? i dont know why he picked me to bully, but i think he made a mistake by doing this to the wrong person. also, do you have some insite on what i should do or not do after HR knows what he did. thanks so much!

Answer
James:
If what you wrote is an accurate portrayal of the situation, this is a case of two wrongs don't make a right.
While I cannot condone the behavior of the supervisor ( You said he's new and probably needs some training) Spreading rumors is equally reprehensible.  You also indicated that false rumors have been spread about you.  Doesn't feel very good when the shoe is on the other foot, does it?
You need to take responsibility for your behavior, not everyone elses.  You should clear the air with the supervisor by apologizing for the rumor spreading and just put the whole situation behind you.
If the negative behavior of the supervisor continues, that is a differenc situation and should be dealt with going forward.
Let me know how you make out.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky