Human Resources/Hire/No-rehire Status

I am in the process of accepting a new job offer and the employer has asked me to provide them with the contact info to complete a verification of employment. Unfortunately, I have never bothered to check any past employers myself.

My concern was, until calling the corporate HR office this morning, that I had been "let go for not selling enough." My fear was that reason would make me a no-hire, but I was informed that my status is eligible for re-hire.

Was that a "gift" or oversight? Or was I worrying for nothing?

Thanks, V>>>

Dear V:

It is hard to know what the past employers will say about you.  We dont know what is important to the new prospective employer.  We don't know what the new prospective employer will ask about you.  We don't know if the past employer will answer; or refuse to answer.    So, it is a waste of time to worry about what someone may or may not say about your past employment.

The fact is, many employers will not provide any verifications at all.    Also, the person giving the reference may never have met the employee who left 2 years prior and you are simply  "a name"  in the records.    Other times the past employer will only verify dates worked, pay and whether the employee is eligible for rehire.    Other times, the boss that hated you and you hated them will offer their opinion on why you are not there any longer.  Of course, in this case, explain you prefer they do not contact this employer;  but if they insist, explain why you feel the review may not be fair.

Of course, if you were a terrible employee,  you deserve any bad review you get.   :)

So,  there is no standard rule or formula for this reference process.  Just provide your past employer's name, address, phone number and a contact person.    They will do the rest and maybe you will get a job offer.

Last- and most important,  if you are NOT hired,  it would be premature for you to single out and  "blame" your past employer for causing you to lose a job.   Very unlikely.    It is more likely the prospective employer has a handfull of people just like you getting reviews and who they are interviewing for the same job as you-- and there is much more decisionmaking that goes into a hiring process than a reference from one past employer.    You are still an applicant until your first day on the job and nothing is guaranteed.

Hard love-   true advice....  Good luck.

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.