Human Resources/Interview question

Question
Hello,

I have a question relating to an interview i will have.  I have bben contacted for an interview with a company to which i had appled for a year previously.  Due to company restructuring the hiring process was suspended.  In the meantime i got another job offer, however the job i took proved to be a bad mistake on my part.  The company has a very toxic environment and management is autocratic and work staff in an unreasonable way.  

To cut a long story short i want to leave my current job after 7 months.  I have been working in this industry for over 13years and do not job hop.   For the new company i will be interviewing with they have my old CV which does not contain information on the job i have been in for 7 months.   I want to give them my updated CV but i want to do this in a way that does not put this in a negative way.

Can you help with some advice on how to answer the probable question that will come up in the interview - why do you want to leave a job after 7 months?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Access36

Answer
Hi Access36,

Interesting name you have there!  I can help you. Here you go.

It is all about the company and job you are going to.  So in the interview, you focus on the following:
•   You applied previously but that did not work out…. Give reasons, etc.
•   You accepted a job in your present company but it was not your first preference.
•   No matter how the interview goes, you never say anything negative about your present company.  If you are pressed for information, always respond positively but move the conversation back to the company you are interviewing with….
•   Read up on the company… know its history, products, markets, sales, operating profit, changes in cash flow over a couple or three years, maybe acquisitions, etc.  All this info is available in the company’s 2011 or 2012 annual report.  2012 may not be published yet.  But 2011 will do nicely.
•   Focus your conversation on why you wanted to work with the company 7 months ago…the job, the culture, maybe career path opportunities, the company’s reputation, maybe civic work the company’s has done, etc.
•   Read up on competency based interview questions… just Google “Competency based interview questions”.  A bit more on this below.
•   Practice your interview, answers and so on out loud at home.  Be prepared.

Again, and this I know is repetitive, but the point here is you need to have sufficient information about the company, so you can always bring the conversation back to why you want to leave the 7 month job and work for the company.  The reason and conversational answer needs to always come back to the company you are going to… in short, you are “running to, not running from”.

Competency based interview questions examine work place behaviors, how you acted and reacted to work related situations, issues, colleagues and so on.  Companies are interested in behavior as it is the best “forecaster” of how you will fit and perform in the company’s culture, in the job you are interviewing for, and also gives some indication of your future capabilities.

I hope that helps Access36.

I am always interested in continuous improvement so if you have a minute it would be greatly appreciated if you would evaluate this answer on the Allexperts.com website.  I believe there only four multiple choice questions.

Best of luck with your interview !

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger