Human Resources/Job performance, separation options

I'm a manager at a CORPORATE gym. They OUTSOURCE/hire our company to run the gym. I've been there 18 months. Second time being called in to a meeting because issues - attitude apparently! cant please everyone.
Can the company, ask my company to supply them with another gym Manager?
Also I really want to leave now as demoralized only called in when there is an issue never when there is something to celebrate. Can I say to my company, its not working pay me out - redundancy plus my holidays and I'll say sayonara. They can't fire me because I have done nothing wrong and if they did I am sure they are worried I would ping them for wrongful dismissal. Any advice?
regards Susa

Hello Susa,

I am not of course familiar with the contract between the Corporate Gym and your company, which we will refer to as “the company” for our purposes here.

I am most certain the Gym can ask the company to replace you with another gym manager.  And you of course might ask for a separation package (redundancy, holidays, etc.) and the company’s decision would probably be based on past practice and existing policy as to how they manage your particularly situation relative to similar situations in the past.  So the company’s policy and past practice would determine if they opted for termination or granted your request for a separation package.

Redundancy is usually associated with a lack of work, economic slowdowns that cause loss of business volume and so on.  However, some company’s use “redundancy” packages to separate employees who in their opinion have created workplace issues.  I am not judging here, just sharing my experience.  So you may be able to obtain a redundancy package if that has been the company’s practice.

With respect to termination (in your words “fire you”), if there have been issues, they are documented, the customer (the Gym) is unhappy and has lodged complaints about your performance, the company my find they have grounds to terminate you and they may not worry about a wrongful dismissal charge if they are confident they have the facts to defend the termination decision.

So I am afraid I am not much help here as I am unfamiliar with the company’s policies and past practice, the company's contract terms with the Gym, and the Australian employment laws which, in part, would certainly weigh in on the company’s decision.

Of course, the best course of action here is for you to do whatever you have to do to regain the confidence of the Gym and the company and change a not so great employment situation into one that benefits you, the Gym and the company.

I wish you the best going forward Susa!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.