Human Resources/Overpayment

Question

I was overpaid at work and they had me pay back the gross amount. Which means I paid back the taxes on an amount of money I didn't make. My employer seems to think that it is fair for me to pay the taxes out of my pocket for a mistake they made. Shouldn't I be refunded the amount of taxes?

Thanks

Answer
You should be refunded the Fica and Medicare amounts you paid as you cannot file to get them back. Any state and federal taxes you will have refunded at the end of the year when you file taxes as your W-2 should be reduced by the amount of repayment you made.

Make sure they reduce your W-2 by the amount of repayment you made. If they do not reduce the wages on your W-2 for the amount of repayment they should pay you back the taxes you paid and they would need to revise all their payroll forms.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR