Human Resources/Termination Notice in Contract

Question
QUESTION: Hi Jim,

Can an employment contract contain a double standard with regard to termination notice? An agency sent me a contract for a job I'll be starting this week. The contract stipulates I'd have to give 2 weeks notice if I was going to leave, but they can terminate without any notice. Is this typical? If it were you, how would you handle this?

Jim, I appreciate any advice you can render.

Jona

ANSWER: Jona

Thanks for your question.  What you describe is not unusual.  As long as they compensate you for the two weeks in lieu of their notice its ok.  These are written so that if an employee's continued presence for the two weeks would be detrimental to the company they can release that person immediately.
I would not be overly concerned.
Hope this helps.
Jim

QUESTION: Hi Jim,

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. A follow-up question: Why would they compensate me for the 2 weeks in lieu of their notice, if that's not stipulated in the contract? More to the point, should I request such a stipulation in the contract? (By the way, this is a 4-month contract as a Technical Writer.)

Thanks again,
Jona

Answer
Jona
Now it gets complicated but I will kiss.
My response was predicated on you being an employee not a contractor. In this case its all a matter of professional ethics asking you to give 2 weeks notice. If the rest of the agreement is ok in your eyes, dont sweat the small stuff and move forward.
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky