Human Resources/Applying for a position

Question
Hello Mark

Need your guidance.

Have been recently made aware of a re-org due to acquisition at a company in an industry which I worked in for 25 years and left some 20 years ago.  I am currently 60 years of age and working for the past 8 years in a completely different industry. In researching the new ownership I noticed that one of the company directors is someone whom I previously knew and who had, at one time, approached me for a position.

In the last 10 years I have tried on several occasions  to re-integrate into the industry with no success as there are far and few opportunities.  I have no doubt that age and the disappearance of old contacts have not helped the cause either.

My question to you is since he is an outside director and does not have any  operating responsibilities, would you consider it appropriate for me to forward him my CV directly.  The second question, is how would you approach the cover letter given that I have had no contact with him for 25+ years. By the way, he and the headquarters of the company are 3K miles away. Further, they have not posted any positions so my approach would be to offer myself as a generalist with the ability to perform in various line/management positions.

Thanking you in advance for your reply

Regards

Richard

Answer
Hello Richard,

Thanks for your question.

I see nothing wrong with sending your CV to the director you had contact with years ago.  I would think he would be an effective contact assuming he remembers you.  You might consider calling first… that way you will know for sure if he remembers your exchange previously, and if the chemistry seems to work, you can ask if he would help support you as a candidate and sponsor your CV in the company.  The way I look at it is you have nothing to lose and by calling first, you will know if he will support you as a candidate.  If you just mail your CV you will never know.   You might also ask the director if he could suggest a contact inside the company who will help sponsor your CV… if he suggests an insider, you can be assured he’ll advise that contact of his conversation with you and that the contact should expect to receive your CV.

Regarding the cover letter… you really need to customize that to align your skills and competencies with those valued by the company and ones that the company will recognize as critical to the type of positions you seek.  That may not sound like new advice but few cover letters to a good job of getting that alignment correct.  So give that some very careful thought as you design the content of your cover letter.  And you have a one up on most as you previously worked for the company so probably have a good idea of the skills and competencies that are key to the industry’s  technology and professional positions.

I hope that helps Richard… good luck with this going forward.

Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger