Human Resources/Applying for a position

Hello Shirley,

Need your guidance.

Have been recently made aware of a re-org due to acquisition at a company in an industry which I worked in for 25 years and left some 20 years ago.  I am currently 60 years of age and working for the past 8 years in a completely different industry. In researching the new ownership I noticed that one of the company directors is someone whom I previously knew and who had, at one time, approached me for a position.

In the last 10 years I have tried on several occasions  to re-integrate into the industry with no success as there are far and few opportunities.  I have no doubt that age and the disappearance of old contacts have not helped the cause either.

My question to you is since he is an outside director and does not have any  operating responsibilities, would you consider it appropriate for me to forward him my CV directly.  The second question, is how would you approach the cover letter given that I have had no contact with him for 25+ years. By the way, he and the headquarters of the company are 3K miles away. Further, they have not posted any positions so my approach would be to offer myself as a generalist with the ability to perform in various line/management positions.

Thanking you in advance for your reply

Hi Richard,

I would go with the honest approach.

Dear ___________.

My name is Richard _________. I don't know if you remember me after all these years but I worked at your establishment in __________. I have thought often of returning to ___________ company to seek employment. I notice that you are now a company director. Given in the past that we had spoken briefly in the past about my returning to work at ____________, I am sending you my CV in hopes you can put it into the right hands for me to be considered for a position at __________, I miss this line of work and would very much like to return to it.

Thank you,

Richard _________.

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions pertaining to Compensation, Health Benefits, Retirement Plans, Payroll,Payroll taxes, Employee selection, Employee Termination, Training, and Employee Incentives. I have offices in U.S., Canada, UK, South Africa,Australia and NZ. I am most confident in the U.S. and Canadian but have knowledge of the internationals. I do not have extensive knowledge of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. I do have some Human Resource Knowledge in those areas. Please do not ask me homework questions, I do not have time to answer them.

I currently hold both the U.S. and Canadian Payroll Certifications. I currently hold the SHRM PHR certification. I have worked in the Human Resources area with high emphasis on compensation and benefits for 25 years at the same company. My company is an international company and I work with our International offices whenever there is a Human Resource area needing addressed. I volunteer on the American Payroll Association hotline and have for the last 10 years or so. I answer many questions each week for other payroll and HR professionals, mostly on taxes, benefits and compensation issues. I have been the trustee for our 401K plan for Retirement benefits and our 125 Cafeteria Plan for Health Insurance benefits.

SHRM, National APA, National DOLEA, State National Mentoring Network I.O.M.A. Advisory Board

Boise State University Human Resource Certificate Program PHR through SHRM CPP through American Payroll Association Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification through Canadian Payroll Association Published writer of Payroll and Benefit articles in a payroll Publication 25 years experience in an International Company

Citation of Merit 8 years in a row for hotline service for A.P.A. Honor Award for child mentoring service through RSVP and National Mentoring A "Pat on the Back" award for outstanding leadership as a Youth Group Leader by "The Salvation Army." Runner up for Employee of the Year at my Company twice and Employee of the month 4 times.

I used to answer questions on when they had a similar quesition and answer section. I volunteer for APA hotline I also belong to several HR forums when I often answer questions