Human Resources/Applying for a position

Question
Hello Leo,

Need your guidance.

Have been recently made aware of a re-org due to acquisition at a company in an industry which I worked in for 25 years and left some 20 years ago.  I am currently 60 years of age and working for the past 8 years in a completely different industry. In researching the new ownership I noticed that one of the company directors is someone whom I previously knew and who had, at one time, approached me for a position.

In the last 10 years I have tried on several occasions  to re-integrate into the industry with no success as there are far and few opportunities.  I have no doubt that age and the disappearance of old contacts have not helped the cause either.

My question to you is since he is an outside director and does not have any  operating responsibilities, would you consider it appropriate for me to forward him my CV directly.  The second question, is how would you approach the cover letter given that I have had no contact with him for 25+ years. By the way, he and the headquarters of the company are 3K miles away. Further, they have not posted any positions so my approach would be to offer myself as a generalist with the ability to perform in various line/management positions.

Thanking you in advance for your reply

Regards

Richard

Answer
RICHARD,

I  understand  your  situation.
You can approach  the  outside  director.
There  is  nothing  to  worry  about.
Most  probably, he  will  put you  to  the  right  person.

You  start  the  letter  by  saying
-you  still  remember  him even  after  25  years
-that  you  would  like  to  meet  him  personally.

State your  desire  to  comeback  to  workforce.  You  still  have  the
-fire in  the  belly
-ability  to  work hard
-skills
-knowledge
-competencies
-motivation

To sustain on the  tasks  and  achieve  the  end   results.

You  are willing  even to  consider  a  contract  job

IN THIS  WAY  FOCUS  ON  THE  DESIRE  TO  COMEBACK  TO  THE  WORKFORCE.

Human Resources

Leo Lingham