Human Resources/code of conduct

what are the aspects that should be covered if a code of conduct is to be registered.

Good morning Michael-

First of all, my apology for the late response.

Great question to ask and also very important to ask. Let's establish what a code of conduct is. A Code of Conduct is a set of rules or expectations that are part of a persons actions in a particular setting. A code of conduct could be for sports, business, school or any number of settings. So when asking this question its important to consider setting, audience and limitations.

I'll assume that you are setting a code of conduct for a business since this question is being directed at an HR professional (Me#.

A code of conduct should cover aspects such as:

Safety, productivity, unacceptable behavior #language, sexual harassment, discrimination, theft, damaging property and others# confidentiality issues, work attendance, and many more.

These are the basic ones and I know off the top of my head that I might be missing one or two, but the message I want to give you is that its not as simple as putting some things on paper and calling it a day. You need to discuss with the decision makers and choose carefully. Some are essential no brainers, others are specific and targeted.

Some great examples of well known codes of conduct are The 10 Commandments, The 5 Pillars of Islam, The Geneva Convention, the Uniform Code of Military Conduct.

Here is a link to the SHRM #Society of Human Resource Managers website to view a template for a Code of Conduct.

I hope this helps and that you can get a start from here.

Regards to you and please let me know if I can help you some more.  

Human Resources

Evan Glassett

Greetings - I can answer questions in the areas of Talent Development, High Potential or HiPo Development, Leadership and Leadership Development, Coaching and facilitation.

I have worked for the last 16 yrs in the fields of training and development, coaching and leadership and talent development. I hold a B.S. in Speech Communication and a M.A. in Organization Development and Management with a focus in Leadership Coaching.

B.S. Speech Communications University of Utah M.A. OD&M Fielding Graduate University - Santa Barbara, CA

Orange Business Services Saudi Electricity Company NASA Jet Propulsion Lab Ma'aden Saudi Mining Company Alghanim Industries