Human Resources/negative reference

Question
As human resource manager, I screen all references that we receive for applicants or newly hired staff.  We will hire an individual on a contingency basis with one reference received while waiting for the second.  In this case, the first reference came back just confirming dates of employment. The second was very negative regarding her attitude and performance.  I told the applicant that we received this reference which was signed, and what the criticism of her was.  I told her that we would allow her to work on probationary status as long as she signed a counseling form that she understood that if any of this negative behavior became evident during her employment with us, she would be terminated.  She did not deny the contents of the bad reference and said she would sign whatever she had to and promised we would never have any problems with her.  One of the snakes in my office overheard my conversation and reported me for opening my company to a law suit because I repeated the information.  I work in New York.  I cannot imagine why discussing a poor reference with someone would be illegal or place my company in jeopardy.  Can you clarify for me.  Thank you so much.  I apologize for the length of this question.

Answer
Judy:
Sorry for the delay in responding but have been down with the Flu.
Our society has become so litigious that anyone can sue anybody for anything these days. Your current policies i.e. probationary period etc. are more than ample to deal with problems like this.  You should NOT have shared this with the candidate as you have no evidence to substantiate the validity of the reference (there are at least two sides to every story).  Now, having said that, the negative reference can be helpful in monitoring any potential issues nut not to be used as a bat to set a negative tone on the new relationship.  Unless this negative behavior occurs in your firm and is witnessed and documented it is only hearsay (i.e. one persons word against another. You cannot counsel on what doesn't officially exist.
The rat you refer to is also a part of the problem you face.  A TEAM worker would have talked with you about the situation as a "heads Up.
Hope this helps
Jim

Human Resources

Jim Dromsky