Human Resources/salary issue

I appreciate your expertise and help.
I was offered a new management position internally in my organization.I feel that the position carries significanlty more responsibility but according to the Compensation Department I was dealing with it was a lateral move. I was told they offered me the max pay for this job and there was no further negotiation. I had 2 options: take it or leave it. I accepted it because my current job is a dead end job with no opportunity to gain new experience. However, shortly after I accepted the job I learned from 2 separate and very reliable sources (not according to my company policy but people do talk) that the previous manager's salary  was 20% higher even though he didn't have the advanced degree that I have. I feel cheated now and taken advantage of this internal "promotion". There is no point of talking to HR now. Should I speak to my new boss and tell him how I feel? Should I also mention that I know that the previous person was making significantly more? What if I'm asked how I know (I can't say how)? He's  probably the only person who could pressure our HR into increasing my salary in the future.
Thank  you for any suggestions,

My perspective on this sort of thing varies from what other people feel or recommend.  I give you my advice having been in a similar situation.

The reality seems to be you were offered the position without having to apply for it.  So, you were "nominated".    So, the person who recommended you knew you had in the past been reliable enough and had the right skillset to come in laterally.    Not every promotion comes with a bag of fresh new money.    Your raise here is the TRUST and CONFIDENCE you add to what you already earned from doing your best in the position.  You earn new skills and better understanding of the company too.    This is your raise-- today.  If you get a raise in the next 6 to 12 months, then that is great too.

Last,  never compare your earnings to that of others.  Even if there is a benchmark for wages paid for certain jobs, what you or any other person earns may be less, equal or more than the benchmark.   Worry only about your own wages.   Continue to do your best no matter what the pay.   The other manager who (allegedly ) earned 20% more could have been paid more than the job was worth to the company.  Why?  the company could have been in a bad position and needed to fill the job, or any other number of reasons.

Some people foster this mindset of,  "why should I do more work or accept a promotion for the same pay with more responsibility or stress" ?     Quite honestly, as HR, these are the first people I would lay off if needed.   Wrong attitude.   They are also the people who cry they don't get a raise just because they managed to remain employed without getting fired over 20 years.  Showing up to work is not commendable-- it is the minimum expectation.    People don't get raises for showing up or doing the minimum.  

You need to work harder than the others- period.   If you work hard, and you really do add value to the company, then you will be rewarded with better pay - maybe.  If you feel the time has gone on for a few years and you know that in your industry you earn less than others in your industry, then look for another employer and take your well earned experience with you.  That is a promotion too-- one you are in charge of.

Also,  don't bring up wages you heard about to HR- or anyone else.   I hope this helps.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.