Human Resources/Unsuccessful Transfer

Question
Hi Mr. Eichinger,

Long story short, I had to move out of town so I applied to transfer out to FL.  I was a salaried department manager of a small team of five people including myself.   I thought it would be a good time to transfer because there are multiple open positions in FL.

There are a few full-time and part time assistant manager positions open in the same department in FL as we speak, but for some reason I wasn't offered any of those position.  I was only given an hourly position to work at those open positions without any benefits.  

The way they described the situation was they didn't have any position that "suits my needs".  Perhaps they didn't find me qualified for those positions, even though those positions available are almost exactly what I was doing previously, just slightly less responsibilities attached to the title.

My questions are the following:
1) How do I know that I was being fully and fairly considered for those available positions?  Is it my place to ask for the specific reasons why I was denied?  I couldn't help but feel that I was left in the dark because everything  was handled by my immediate supervisors.  Maybe this is the corporate standards for everything.

2) Could I be denied because of my last salaried position being a higher paying job?

Thank you for your advice!
Sincerely,

Hanna

Answer
Thanks for your question Hanna.  Here is my opinion.

I am going to assume you had a good performance track record and good reputation on your pre-Florida position. So starting from there…

(1) You don’t know if you were fully considered. And yes should pursue the questions: were you were considered… were you considered qualified… if your previous position was almost identical and you were qualified why you were not selected for the position.  I don’t think what happened had anything to do with corporate standards… most ethical, responsible corporations place qualified people in the “best fit” positions.  So I am guessing that there are some other factors in play that are not clear.

(2) It doesn’t make much sense if they denied you one of those very similar positions because you were paid more on your previous job… logic would say the company would want to use your most developed skills and competencies in the best suited position available as that best benefits the company and employee (you).  And clearly the hourly job pays less than your former position so either way less is less.

So I would pursue asking your questions. In doing so, always be professional, but politely assertive, as you look into this. First, if you had a good rep and performance record at the company’s previous location (pre-FL), and a good relationship with your manager there and/or Human Resources, I would quietly ask your questions there first … just to get a corporate reading so to speak from another location and how they might have handled a similar situation.

Then I would go ahead with you inquiries at your new location. Be prepared.  Practice at home.  Know the questions you are going to ask and in what order you will ask them. Start with your immediate manager first… then follow up with Human Resources or the immediate manager for the job(s) you are inquiring about… those similar to your pre-FL position.  I would hold off on debating any questionable answer you receive … you can always go back and debate it later, after you have thought it over, maybe sought out further advice, thought-through what position(s) you would take in the debate, and, is it worth debating at all.  If there are clear, blatant violations of employment law, e.g., age, race, gender, and so on, you might follow that up with the appropriate, local federal agency/office.

I hope you find the above advice of assistance, Hanna.  Good luck as you pursues this.  Stay professional.

Best Regards,
Mark

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger