Human Resources/Internship Conduct

Question

I'm a sophomore at a respected university in Missouri. I've been conducting research with a professor in forensic chemistry, and my professor has landed me a grant to pay me for my research, as well as a week long paid internship with the company we purchased the research instrument from. I'll be flying to Delaware to intern in a few weeks. I have made sure I have the appropriate business attire, as I am familiar with how I need to conduct myself in an office setting, however I am unsure of how to approach staying with this colleague and her boyfriend at their house. What are some basic guidelines as to how I should approach the situation, and conduct myself? I obviously will make sure to keep my space tidy and respect their home as any guest, but I am unsure of how the business relationship will affect this. Also, I've never had to travel for business purposes. How should I dress for the flight, as I'll be heading to their house from the airport? I want to make a good impression, but do I need to wear business attire for a long day of flying?

Answer
This is a tricky situation at best. Staying with someone and their boyfriend? That could be really ackward.

If it is warm weather you could wear a pair of capri's and a nice top for flying, or just a pair of slacks and a nice top. Even a pair of nice jeans and a top would probably be fine for travel. You are a student, they are not expecting you to be all dressed up traveling.

I would say to take the moments as they come. Just be honest, be yourself, and see how they interact in a day and try to fit in the best you can. Offer to help with food preparation and clean up. Keep your space tidy. You will do just fine. Being yourself is the best strategy you can have.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR