Human Resources/HR career

I want to break into Human Resources. I've been in teaching and hotels my entire life.
Is my resume suitable to get into the HR field?

TODD W. Johnson
142 E. Ankeny St
Phoenix, AZ 85325

Teacher / Assistant Teacher    
Des Moines Public Schools, Des Moines, IA 11/07 - Present   
Pinellas Park Middle School, St. Petersburg, FL
Pinellas County Schools, St. Petersburg, FL

Developed innovative curriculum to instruct students
Managed classroom of +40 students
Implemented high-level lesson plans
Launched a Wellness Committee to improve healthy lifestyles
Established positive relationships with students, parents and colleagues

Bellman / Concierge        

Bayfront Hilton Hotel, St. Petersburg, FL 9/94 - 11/07
Hotel Edgewater, Seattle, WA
Sunburst Hotel, Scottsdale, AZ
Tempe Mission Palms Hotel, AZ
Greeted guests in a friendly manner
Increased hotel productivity by providing team support
Streamlined guest service system
Proficient in OnQ, Microsoft Word, Office, XP, 7, Vista, Powerpoint, Outlook, Excel,
Handled as many as +200 customer contacts a day

Sales Professional       
Suntasia Marketing, St. Petersburg, FL 06/02 - 11/03

Increased territory sales from less than $1 million to $2.2 million within two years
Generated qualified sales leads and appointments for new business
Added new customers while maintaining premium service with existing account
Exceeded quotas by 12% in 2002 and 15% in 2003

Bachelor of Arts in Social Science
University of South Florida, 2005

Associates of Arts in Psychology
Daytona Beach Community College, 1993

Hello Todd,

Thanks for your question.  Here are my thoughts.

H.R. is comprised of several subsets: Compensation and Pay for Performance, Employment (Recruiting, Selection, Policy, Practice, etc.), Training and Development, Succession Planning and Career Development, Communications (project and event related), sometimes Health and Safety, sometimes Security, and of course Planning.  If you have the knowledge and experience to do those subsets well you could seek a generalist job… for example, HR Manager, with multi-location experience, HR Director and so on.

Professionals new to HR often start as a professional or manager specializing in one of those subsets.  Your strength from that standpoint would be training and development (TnD).  After you gained some knowledge and experience in HR you might decide to stay in TnD or move into a position that managers two or more subsets.  So my advice would be to focus on applying for Training and Development.  Of course if you fell you have a handle on several subsets by all means go for it.

About your resume…

You can express your experience, knowledge, accomplishment and competencies in a more direct and powerful way.  I would suggest you research some resumes on the net, find a template that helps you do this and revise your resume.  Your resume should feature both skills, knowledge and acquired behavior competencies (BC’s.

Behavior competencies are easy to understand and are very valuable to document as they are excellent predictors of how well a professional will do in his/her current position as well as future positions.  You can research BC’s on the net as well and feature those which you have acquired as part of your resume.  BC’s are observable behaviors… for example: integrity, hard worker, good communicator, business acumen, analytical, flexible, adaptable, humor, etc.  Many companies used what is called behavioral-based interviewing, also a researchable subject.
Lastly you should develop a profile on  Many recruiters research candidates on Linkedin.  Your Linkedin profile will be based on your resume information.

And remember, cover letters and as important as resumes.  Be sure to construct powerful, to-the-point cover letters when applying for positions.

That is my advice Todd.  I hope you find it valuable.

I wish you great success in your search for an HR position!

Human Resources

Mark Eichinger

Any type of question related to domestic and international Human Resources work. My H.R. passions include Compensation design and systems in competitive markets, Health and Safety in Industrial Environments, Performance Management, Talent Management (Hiring, Selection, Employee Development, Compensation, Creating Space, etc.), Communications, Coaching, Counseling, Leadership, and Management. Questions I cannot answer: I am sure there are questions within these categories that I may not be able to answer but my experience below would suggest those would be few.

I own International Human Resources Coaching and Consulting, LLC. Previously, I successfully held corporate executive and management leadership positions from 1979 to 2007 in two $9B+ multi-national corporations. Positions included: Vice President, Human Resources for the Asia Pacific Region, Eaton Corporation; I was based in Shanghai, China. Prior to that assignment, Vice President, Human Resources International and Operations, Eaton World Headquarters, Cleveland, Ohio with global responsibility for Eaton’s Human Resources practices, international assignee management, and Regional Human Resources Directors in Asia Pacific, Europe, and Central and South America. Specifically, my experience spans work at domestic and international locations at the operating plant, division, business unit, and corporate levels and most business scenarios to include startups, closedowns, restructurings, integrations, and ongoing operations. I am an Eaton Business Excellence Assessment Examiner (Malcolm Baldrige based system). I introduced processes and process mapping into the Human Resources environment. I have extensive experience with and working in domestic and international organization matrix structures. In the Asia Pacific region, my responsibilities included, leading the regions H.R. team and processes, managing the H.R. relationship with the corporation, creating and leading the professional and general manager development programs, China’s university relations program and managing the Asia Pacific key leader’s process. I have coached managers and leaders. I am a professional listener, my style open, direct, and focused on leader accountability and employee engagement. In Summary, my career responsibility included more than 60,000 employees, 60 union and union free operations, and 45 countries. I also lived in Korea for two years while in service with the USA’s armed forces.

SCORE – Counselors to Americas Small Business; at various locations I have also belonged to Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis and the Chamber of Commerce. I have served on Boards of medical, community and institutional organizations.

Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Youngstown State University. MBA work Youngstown State University, and University of Bridgeport. University of Tennessee, Lean Manufacturing Certified. Thunderbird School of Global Management, Management Certified.

Corporate level awards for compensation systems, communications campaigns.