Human Resources/need help with request rehire letter

Question
i worked for a union for about two weeks and failed a drug test. i only did it once before i started working but i just it was still in my system . i never smoked since then a year ago. their decision was for me to sit out for a year and then i can come back.now they are asking me to write a letter. before i left i did get a recommendation for being a good working from my superintendent. not sure how to write this letter please help.

Answer
What they want is a letter to them stating that you are drug free, that you will not be using drugs in the future and that you wish to be considered for rehire with the company. Apologize to them for the failed drug test and let them know that it will not happen again.

You might say something like this:

Dear Sirs,

Last year I applied for a position with your company. Unfortunately I had made a bad error in judgement and tried a drug which caused me to fail the drug test. I have not used drugs since and I do not intend to ever use drugs again.  I have learned my lesson and I have paid the price for my judgement error. I truly wish to work for your company, I will give it 100% and I am asking to be reconsidered for a position.

Thank you.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR