Human Resources/Unsure of start date with new employer

I am having a problem getting my new employer to agree on a start date. Once I received the formal job offer in writing I gave notice to my current job.  I contacted new employer with the date I will be available to start. I was then sent new hire paperwork with no indication of a start date from them. I filled out and returned a paperwork along with a note again asking when they would like me to start. HR responded thanking me for the paperwork and cc me on an email to regional mgr I would report to asking him to give me a start date. That was several days ago and still no word. My last day at my current job ends this week.  How many times do I need to ask about a start date? Needless to say I am now unsure of this new employer. Any suggestions on a different approach?  

Thank you....

I'll default to assume the company you are going to work for is just busy and trying to get you the date you need.   There are often many "moving parts" and other schedules and logistics needed to be addressed and coordinated before a new employee comes on board.  

Since the email has been sent to all the right people already, and you held up your side of the agreement by accepting a job offer and completing new hire paperwork--  just hang loose.

They know you are ready to start, so if you don't get your reply by June 21st,   # a week after your job ends on June 14th#   then enjoy the week off and you can call the HR person and in a friendly way ask what the timeline is around June 24th or so.   I'm not sure about NJ,  but in PA,  you would be eligible to collect unemployment if you opened a claim for a week during the time you leave one job to take a "better" job.     I would suggest you do this.

When or if you do call the new employer, I would not suggest putting anyone on the spot or suggesting they  "seem unorganized".   You would not want to appear to be a pest or accuse them of being unorganized or delaying a start date.   They truly may be up against some things internally you are not aware of,  so be patient.   Sometimes, companies just take a few days or a week or two to line things up.  It is not always as simple as it might seem.

The worst case is if something happened and now the position is no longer open, or the company went in a different direction.  This would be very unfortunate, but it can and does happen.     If this does happen,  write back and let me know.

Good luck and congrats on the new position.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.