Human Resources/Employment

Is there any website where employers and employees can talk about what it is employers are looking for, and how they go about searching for it, etc? It seems like there should be a website where employers are candid about what they want because clearly they won't tell potential employees about it on the spot and bias how an interview goes. Know of any forums of that type? At least at my current my boss says I turned out to be a very good employee but interviewed poorly, meanwhile the opposite was true of most others that interviewed well.

This likely will not be the answer you feel gives justice to your question;  however in my opinion it is an easy answer and the best I can offer that holds true.   

Despite books, training and blogs on "How to interview"  and "How to find a job" and the most effective ways to match up employees to employers, plus the myriad related sources on the topic, I feel the concept of "interviewing" is so vast, with so many variables, it is impossible to scientifically break down what is an effective interview and how do I get the job I want and convince the employer I am  the best for the job.  THE FACT IS,, I MAY NOT be the best for the job,  but I -- really-- think I am.   From poor self impressions, to bad interviewing skills to lack of time and low budgets and  again, myriad variables, interviewing can not be broken down the way you would like it to be so it is clean and nice.

You know about meterorology?  Sure,  the weather predictions are better today than 20 years ago, but for the most part you don't really know if you will have rain on a gray humid  cloudy day.   Most interviews happen in the gray area;  hence the reason you get rain when you should not; and sun when a thunderstorm was predicted.    In the end, it is all just weather.  

Without writing a book on the topic myself, this is all I can offer.   

It is NOT an exact science from the employee's view  OR  the Employer's view....

Good luck,

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.