Human Resources/Salaried to temp change

Question
I currently work for a staffing agency as an internal employee, not as a contractor. I am exempt/salaried. The company has just merged with another larger staffing agency. The new owners want to convert me to a contract hourly employee so I will no longer be eligible for any benefits. In effect, what they are doing is the new parent company is hiring me as a temporary contractor, then leasing me back to the company I currently work for. Do I have to accept this? Is this even legal?

Answer
This does not sound right to me. I do not know a lot about mergers, however, I think what should happen is the company you are working for needs to terminate you. Than you can either go to work for the new company as a temp contract employee or you can find another job somewhere else. Since it is not your fault you should be allowed to draw unemployment until you find another job.

I would call your local department of labor and talk to them about this situation I think they are not handling it correctly.

Shirley

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR