Human Resources/Salary makes me uneasy about job?

Hello Mr. Phillips,

I had a job interview yesterday. The lady who told me to apply for the job didn't realize when she told me to apply that the job was going to be a cut in pay for me. The HR person who interviewed me wasn't able to give me a concrete figure, so I'm not sure exactly how much of a cut it's going to be, but it seems to be around 70 cents/hour. It doesn't seem like a lot, but I'm not really sure how I could work with it.

After the interview, the lady who told me to apply emailed me and said that she was sorry because she didn't realize that it was that big of a cut. I wrote back to her and said something along the lines of, you gave me a lot to think about and told her that I would still like to be offered the job if I was the most qualified. I said this because it's hard to make the decision without knowing if I'm even being considered and when I don't know a concrete dollar amount per hour. Does this seem like an okay move?

I'm writing to ask how I should write a follow up letter to the HR person. I let him know in the interview that I would have to think about the pay. He told me I didn't have to make the decision right there as they had other candidates to consider. But, how do I write a letter letting him know that I would have to think about the money, but I would still like to be offered the job so I know that the real thinking has to begin? It's hard to think of what I would do when I don't know if I'm going to offered the position and I don't know how to get this across in a letter.

This is the best advice I can offer.....  Since you are already likely to get a pay cut  IF you are hired, and since there are already "more" applicants to consider,  and you are yourself concerned about not knowing the amount of pay,  these are all red flags.   This in itself is a reason not to chase after this job with this company.

Second,  the HR Lady you refer to knows your phone number and how to reach you.  She WILL find you IF she is interested in offering you a job.  No need to track her down with a letter.  Unless you REALLY need this particular job to promote a career change or start a life long career that this job serves as a ground floor opportunity,  maybe you can deal with a pay cut.    If not, and you are just looking to improve yourself,  then a wage cut isn't going to help.  Keep looking for other work.

Last,  I would not suggest you waste your time writing a letter to ask questions about the pay and try to explain your position.  It doesn't matter what you think or feel about the job until you get a JOB OFFER  from them, and in the job offer it will lay out the pay they will offer you.   You will know when you get a job offer,  until then,  you are just one of MANY applicants who likely also want to write letters.

Right now, until the job offer comes, nothing else matters.  I hope this hits home for you in a realistic way and don't sit around hoping and wondering about this job.  Keep looking, keep applying and good luck in your job search-- and keep looking for other work.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips

Foreign and US university students -*PLEASE*- DO NOT waste your time asking for my opinions, comments or analysis of your homework questions. Homework questions are not answered and are rejected. I am happy to help answer questions asked by employees and employers regarding United States based state and Federal wage and hour, OT, Fair labor standards, FMLA, COBRA, Recruiting, Interviewing techniques, employee manuals, discipline, terminations/quits, unemployment, HRIS rollout, Employee Leasing or Staffing company cost analysis, day to day scenarios, work situations and more. Essentially a well rounded HR generalist who operates Harvis, Inc., a human resource consulting and service business based in Northeastern Pennsylvania "NEPA".

At Harvis, Inc., we provide Human Resource products, services and advice to small businesses that may not have the time or resources to hire a full time HR department. For larger companies with HR managers in place, we compliment their expertise to help with time consuming or time sensitive projects like updating policy manuals, screening and interviewing and more. We make workplaces better by becoming that 1/2 person they need to help handle HR responsibilities on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. Formerly responsible for all Human Resource activity for a staffing agency with 2,500 annual employees as well as an employee leasing / PEO business with 1,500 annual employees. Designed and implemented the HR structure to support hundreds of clients in excess of $ 500 million in payroll volume over career in Human Resources.

* President 2006- Harvis Inc. HR Services * President 2010-13 Business Association of the Greater Shickshinny Area - Shickshinny PA * President 2013- ShickshinnyForward Not for Profit Community Long Term Revitalization Organization and former member of varios Chambers of Commerce and HR Taskforce, former President of NBC Business Club 2 years

Bloomsburg University - 1993 BS Marketing, Bloomsburg Pennsylvania and Luzerne County Community College - 1991 Business Administration, Nanticoke Pennsylvania

* Better than average - 20/10 vision * Bestowed with an occasional "Thank You" from clients and their employees.