Human Resources/Temporary Employment

Question
Hi Mr.Phillips.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my question.  I understand if it is outside of your expertise, but given your history in HR, I figured you may be able to offer some insight.  

I am a recent college graduate from Arkansas.  I worked steadily all throughout college and left my job as a secretary to move to a different part of the state.  After job searching the last two months, I finally was offered temporary, full-time position with FEMA.  The job is supposed to last anywhere from 60-90 days. I am so excited to have the opportunity to bring home a steady paycheck - but this basically just prolongs my search for permanent employment. My goal is to have another job lined up by the time this one ends, but it took me much, much longer than expected just to find this job.

When this employment ends, if I do not have another job lined up, would I be eligible to receive unemployment benefits? I wasn't sure since the job was temporary in nature.  

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond. That is very kind of you.  Have a great day!

- Jessica

Answer
Jessica,

Federal employees are entitled to collect unemployment.   Each person's own circumstances dictate the eligibility and amount of income you would collect and of course it is also a factor of the time you work for the government and your amount of wages earned during the required periods.  

Here is some reference info for you to read and start some digging on the topic.  It applies to sequestration,  but in the end a lack of work is the same no matter what so it should apply all the same.  

http://www.dol.gov/sequestration/ucfe.pdf

I hope this helps.

Brian Phillips

Human Resources

Brian Phillips