Human Resources/Canadian Direct Deposit

Question
Good Afternoon,

I am inquiring to see if our US based company can make Direct Deposit, for biweekly paychecks, mandatory for our Canadian associates. We operate specifically in Ontario and BC. Are there any provincial or government laws that would prevent this? The associates would have the choice of where their funds go, either checking/savings or some type of cash card account.

Thank you for your time!

Answer

In British Columbia, payments of wages to employees must be made at least twice a month or more frequently. Moreover, a pay period must not be longer than 16 days, and all wages earned in a pay period must be paid within eight days after the end of the pay period.

Employers are permitted to implement a direct deposit system after obtaining the consent of their employees by contract or by collective agreement, as long as the deposit goes into a financial institution of the employees' choice. If an employee does not have a bank account at a financial institution, employers must pay the wages by cash or cheque.

In Ontario, payments of wages to employees are not addressed by legislation. However, the payment of wages must be made no later than the regular established payday.

Employers are permitted to implement a direct deposit system without consulting or obtaining the consent of their employees, as long as the deposit goes into a financial institution of the employees' choice. If an employee does not have a bank account at a financial institution, employers must pay the wages by cash or cheque.

There are some conditions imposed concerning direct deposits. An employer may only pay wages to the employee via direct deposit if: the account is in the employee's name; no person other than the employee or a person authorized by the employee has access to the account, and, unless the employee agrees otherwise, the financial institution is located within a reasonable distance from the location where the employee usually works.

If you need instruction on other provinces in Canada let me know.

Shirley  

Human Resources

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR