Human Resources/Career query

Respected sir ,
      I did my Biochemistry (distinction)In spite of registering with many Job portals i didn't get a single call in the related field. hence i have decided to go for further studies  some of my friends suggested to pursue MBA in HR .please brief me about career opportunities For MBA HR One year online mode.

Thanking you  

yours faithfully

Dear Sowmya
I understand the impact of not getting a job in your field of study. It can drive an individual to consider a change in career. Having said that, it is not necessary that a change in career helps the individual get a job or the individual enjoys it. So, my submission is that that you do some thinking through on why you have not got a call before you consider a change in career.

Some fields have jobs in certain parts of the country. Also some kind of jobs may not necessarily be listed on the job portals. Please reflect on the kind of job you were seeking, where you were seeking it (any location restrictions) and what kind of job portals did you apply in. Also, please consider if you can identify the kind of organizations where your qualifications would be valued & see their website too to check if you can apply directly.

Having said that, if you have made up your mind for a change of career, and are keen on considering HR as a career, then you need to consider doing a professional course. For a good start, a 2 year full time MBA course from a good institute is the most helpful. However, if you have any financial or mobility constraints, then you could consider online courses. Even there, a 2 year MBA would be a better option than a 1 year course.

Most people who are already working in a given field could choose such online courses. It helps build perspective. From the point of view of gaining entry into a first job, it is not the best option.

Hope this helps you think through further. Do revert if you want clarifications or have other queries on reading this. I will be happy to respond. All the best.

Human Resources

Pankaj Bhargava

Questions related to choice of career, inter-personal issues at the workplace, performance management issues, structure issues, compensation structuring issues, culture building issues, linking HR with org. strategy

22 years in HR and Org. Development, designing & facilitating interventions, leading an HR team of an Indian multinational & facilitating multiple organizations across industries to build the desired culture to serve business need

HR magazine of TISS (an HR institute of repute - Tata Institute of Social Sciences)

B. Tech (Chemical Engineering) from IIT Mumbai (one of the most reputed engineering school in India) and PGDM (MBA) from IIM Kolkata (one of the most reputed management institutes in India).

Was awarded the Gold Medal for excellence in HR by the Bengal Chamber of Commerce at IIM